Saturday, December 29, 2012

Back on Track

I have spent the last three days getting myself back on the fitness track. My mom was in town for Christmas from the 22nd to the 26th, but after I bid goodbye to her at the airport at 5am on Thursday, I knew that it was time to finally be done with the holidays and done with my little workout hiatus.

I'm finally feeling a little better and back to normal after the surgery I had on Dec. 17th. I hate that it took me out of training for my half marathon. After much thought, I've decided that I'm going to forgo the half marathon in Charleston on January 19th. It pains me to do so because I wanted this so badly, but I am just not ready. Before my hiatus, I was at eight straight miles...which is a great personal accomplishment for me. However, it's not near where I need to be to take on 13.1. And now that I've been out for a couple of weeks, as well as it's pretty darn chilly outside {I know I'm a wuss when it comes to that}, I just decided it best to find a different half marathon that would allow for more time. I am now going to participate in the Columbia Half Marathon on March 9th. I will have to travel an hour and a half, but my family and I are going to make a weekend of it...they will cheer me on and then we will celebrate with a trip to the Riverbanks Zoo. The weather should be much more tolerable for running - especially that distance.

So anyway...as far as being back on track...I have been hitting the gym hard the last three days. Thursday was legs, glutes, abs and the elliptical; Friday was chest, triceps, abs and the elliptical and today I hit the legs and glutes again. I strongly encourage lifting weights when you are looking to tone up - don't just hit the cardio. I am pretty sore right now, but it's a good soreness...the kind that leaves me feeling accomplished and encouraged to go back for more. This past year has been a pretty challenging one for me in terms of fitness...work was crazy and I was putting in a lot of hours - even on weekends and my motivation for fitness was a bit lacking in comparison to my normal level. I almost feel as though this last three days I've just flipped the switch back on and it makes me wonder how I ever got lost in the first place. I turn the big 3-0 this April...so it is becoming even more important to me that I accomplish my fitness goals as well as keep challenging myself. Fitness is a part of who I am...and I don't want to let anything get in the way of that again. No excuses.

If you are looking to get back into fitness...I encourage you to start today...don't wait until January 1.

Oh, and be on the lookout for me to post my 2013 starting stats sometime next week...I'm a little nervous due to the above-mentioned hiatus I've been in, but I've got to do it...seeing those numbers will only fire me up to get them lower. I encourage you to take measurements any time you want to track your progress...photos are a great way to do that too.

Enjoy the rest of 2012. xoxo.

Side note: Do you like the new blog design? Not sure if it's forever, I'll probably keep revamping... but what do you think?


 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...