Thursday, March 7, 2013

DIY Monogram Art


This was a pretty easy project that didn't cost a lot at all.

Supplies Needed:
Frame {Mine were a total of $4.00}
Fabric sized to fit picture in frame {About $7.00 per 1/2 yd cut}
Wooden Letter of Choice {I got mine at Hobby Lobby for $1.75 each, regularly $3.49}
Spray Paint for Frame {Optional - I had on hand from other projects}
Spray Paint for Letter {Had on hand from other projects}
Fabric Stapler {Had on hand}
Craft Glue {Had on hand}

Total Cost per Monogram Art {for me, considering I already had some supplies on hand}: $10.75

When I was at Goodwill a while back, I found two identical frames with some very old-fashioned art in them that I knew would be perfect to make some statement art with for the boys' rooms. At $2.00 each, they were a great deal, their overall size being approx 18" x 22".
 



The art pulled out rather easily, just bending a few staples. They were actually cardboard-like, so I used them to put my fabric on.

I laid out the picture backward on the fabric so it wouldn't show through the fabric on the front. I made sure it laid evenly and then pulled back the fabric tight and secured in place with my fabric stapler.





{Please don't mind my hairy carpet, the remnants of Siberian Husky are hard to get rid of...with time it will happen, lol.}

To paint the letters, I used this paint:



I didn't have to prime them before. As you can see, the red was a paint and primer in one. I lightly sprayed two coats on each, letting dry between coats. I then let them each sit for an hour before applying to the fabric.





This is a picture of the fabric I used for Breckin {I won't be showing his final piece because I am working on his wall gallery and will reveal all then!}




For Tanner's frame, since I chose to paint his white, I used one coat each of these:




After the frame was dry and the letter was set with craft glue onto the fabric, I put it all back together and this is what I got! It was exactly the look I was going for with Tanner's monogram.





What do you think? Please "pin" it if you love it! xoxo

To view the parties I link up to, click here. And also these that I found this week:

Home Stories A2Z


Find me and follow on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram 
Add my RSS Feed to your Reader

7 comments:

Diana of Diana Rambles said...

Great project! I would love you to come join my Pin Me Linky Party that starts Friday morning at 8am CST. I allow up to 3 links each week! I am a new follower!

Unknown said...

That's so cute! Great job!

Cher-Ann Texter said...

Very cool! Stopping by from SITS - Saturday Sharefest!

Cher
http://designsbystudioc.com

Designed Decor said...

Morgan, What a great transformation! It's amazing what paint can do! Thanks for linking up to Talkin’ About Thursday link party. I hope you will come back this week too!

Jill @Two Yellow Birds Decor said...

Those are so cute!!! Love the colors. I have a link party going on right now and would love for you to share these there and anything else you would like!

http://twoyellowbirdsdecor.blogspot.com/2013/03/thursdays-temptation-56-fabulous.html

Thanks!
Jill

Alaya said...

I always find some good stuff to makeover at Goodwill. I love what you did with these pictures! Found you from Two yellow birds decor!

alaya @ Behind the Big Green Door
www.behindthebiggreendoor.com

Emily A. Clark said...

Love what you did with the frames!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...