Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Idaho Recap

First of all...no, I did not bring any potatoes home, so don't ask.

Just had to get that lame-o joke out of the way as it's all I've heard since returning to work.

And while we're on the topic, I didn't spot Napoleon Dynamite either.

Anyway, as you know, we went to Idaho at the beginning of this month and returned last Wednesday. My family lives in the skyscraper-challenged state {ok, they might have a couple} and I had not been back to visit since Christmas 2007 with Tanner in tow.

The four of us spent a wonderful day of flying {the boys were really so good}. We flew into Boise, so we stayed with my mom the night we arrived. {My parents are divorced, but it's ok, I've come to terms with it...so no violins needed here.} Anyway, Jake and I managed to get out after the boys fell asleep to go visit my bestie, Kellie, her husband and kids. It was so good to see her. We've been BFF since 1996 or something crazy like that. {Kurt Cobain MIGHT have still been alive...but only for a few months if that - oh, Tupac and Biggie too.} Anyway, it's always nice to know that she and I hardly skip a beat no matter how many years go by. {Though she and I really have to steer away from 100% Facebooking to at least like an 80/20 ratio with calling. Yep, that's life as working moms with kids...we suck at phone calls.}

The next day, my mom had to take my Aunt Diane to her last chemo appointment {she battled breast cancer earlier this year and took the chemo treatments as a precaution to make sure it was definitely out of there.} She's a fighter though. An Army Veteran and an FBI agent...I've always looked up to her. While they were off doing that, we took the kids to the zoo with Kellie and her kids.






After that, we drove to Twin Falls to stay a few days of the trip with my dad and his wife Teresa. They still live in the same house I was in all through high school, so we got to sleep in my old room. {Though it looks nothing like that now!} We pretty much took it easy those few days. We spent the evenings around the fire pit {I was impressed with how much they had done with the backyard} kicking back with wine and beer and good conversation. It made me miss the Idaho weather a little bit since sitting outside in the evening right now in Charleston is muggy and buggy. It got to 103 there and it didn't feel crazy hot to me...gotta love the dry heat.

























I also took Jake and the boys down to Dierke's Lake in the Snake River Canyon while my dad worked one day. I forgot my camera, but here's a pic of the lake I found on the web:


via

 Unfortunately it happened to be the breeziest day of the trip, so it was too cold to enjoy ourselves for too long. We packed up there after trying to get used to the cold water to no avail and went to go see Shoshone Falls just down the road before we headed back up the canyon road.


via

After some good quality time and Olympics spectating, we headed back to Boise to spend the rest of the trip at my mom's. She had a small family BBQ...I got to see my brother Jeff & his girlfriend, my Aunt Diane and my grandma.





My little brother, Jeff and the boys












Gramma Lisa & The Boys

Unfortunately my brother Jared couldn't be there because he and Jeff both trade off shifts working for a paraplegic. I had to see them both separately throughout the trip - so no good sibling photos. But the job they do is a noble one, I can't complain.

The next day, we went to a water park...it was a super-nice day...{and I may even have a hint of tan now because of it.}











Jeff & Tanner on the slides...Tanner was brave enough to go on every one! Thank God he's 48" tall!


On Monday, my mom took us to BSU to see her office and the famous blue turf.




The next day, we also went to visit my grandpa. Unfortunately I haven't seen him since 2006 when Tanner and I came to visit Idaho when Tanner was just a baby. At the time, I didn't know it'd be the last time.



We spent a few of those nights going out with Kellie and her husband and another night going out downtown with my brother Jared.








Kellie, her husband Anthony & Me (Love that they're married - we were all childhood friends!)

My Big Brother Jared & Me

Jake & Jared sharing a cocktail - as all BILs should!

It was a good trip overall...some other tidbits were that I got to see my Shelby...it saddened me to see her right away because she had lost a lot of color in her face and looked very old. I am pretty sure this was my last visit with her. {My Aunt Diane actually put her sister down while we were there due to a tumor spreading to her chest...it made Shelby's passing soon seem even more real.} 




But I suppose those things are inevitable...I love that dog...and I already miss her so much. Oh, yes, I miss my family too!

I know these kinds of posts are the more boring ones, but thanks for reading anyway! xoxo


Find me and follow on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram 
Add my RSS Feed to your Reader

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...