Thursday, November 1, 2012

Halloween Is Over...

Now what to do with all of that candy?


If you're like me, having candy in your house is just a recipe for diet disaster. I have NO will power when it comes to sweets. {Well, I do have some, but basically, if I don't say no before it gets into my house, I'm doomed.} So I try to keep it OUT from the get-go to keep from over-indulging.

Here are some ideas for getting the candy out:

1. First let your little ones pick up to 10 pieces to keep {I usually only allow for one per day to be eaten.} Promise them you won't eat any of it. {Harder to eat it if you know you're going to break a promise to those sweet things by doing so.}

2. Check with some of the local dentists to see if they offer a candy-buying program. Let your children keep the money.

3. Check with local museums, aquariums, etc. to see if they take the candy. Our local Children's Museum offers free admission in exchange for candy so they can send it to our troops.

4. Just go dump it in the trash. No harm, no foul. You'll feel much better about yourself once you've done it.

5. Take it to the office and put it in a large bowl. In a high traffic area. Far from your desk.

6. Give it to your local food bank or church if they'll take it. This time of year, they may want candy for Christmas to offer to little ones that would otherwise go without.

7. Use it in a pinata for your son's birthday that falls a week after Halloween and let the party invitees go at it. {Oh, is this just me? OK.}


Whatever you do, try to make sure there's something in it for your kids...so they don't feel they just got screwed. Help them make it feel like it's their choice...reward them for their generosity...and use it as an opportunity to teach the importance of health!


2 comments:

Louise Ducote said...

Great ideas! I always offer my boys a trade-in: they choose ten pieces but give me the rest in exchange for a toy or something they've been wanting. Then they end up with something that lasts longer than candy, won't tempt mama and isn't a dental disaster.

Sarah Evans said...

Such a good set of ideas! I am exactly the same - if it's in my house then it gets eaten!

Sarah @ A Cat-Like Curiosity

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...