Monday, November 26, 2012

My Gym Routine: Back

Welcome back to my little mini-series, My Gym Routine!

Today, I am letting you in on my favorite back exercises.

Here is the schedule of posts for your reference:
Mon 11.26.12 - Back
Mon 12.3.12 - Chest
Mon 12.10.12 - Triceps
Mon 12.17.12 - Abs

I find the back is often neglected in many people's exercise routines. It is a very important area because your back controls your ability to do most anything. Think about someone who breaks their back - they're not going to be walking, are they? Your back is also closely related to your core, the main muscles that keep your body in balance. A weak back can lead to some very unfortunate injuries. Keep yours strong by focusing on it a few times a week, with moves such as these:

Back Extensions


Back extensions are great for the lower back as well as your abs! Build a strong lower back and you will notice a flatter tummy. I typically grab a weight plate anywhere up to 20 lbs and hold it with my arms crossed across my chest, but if you're a beginner to working your back, simply putting your hands behind your head {shown} will keep you from doing too much too soon. For this exercise, I ai to do 3 sets of 15 reps.

Bent-Over Row


Grab a barbell {I use about 30 lbs}, hold with your palms facing outward and pull to your chest, then slowly release back down to starting position. Keep your back straight and knees slightly bent. Complete 3 sets of 15 reps.

Lat Pulldown


Using a grip slightly wider than shoulder-width, grab a pulldown bar. Keep your back straight and sit up tall. Exhale as you pull the bar down to the top of your chest. Slowly rise back to starting position. Complete 3 sets of 15 reps with a weight that has you to failure by the 15th rep of each set.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...