Friday, May 10, 2013

Time To Dust Off The Kindle

I don't know about you, but as a working mom, usually picking up a book to read is the last thing I think I have time to do. As a child, though academically intelligent, I wasn't one of those that loved to hole myself up in my room for hours and read novels. I rarely did. I was more active and extroverted. Don't get me wrong, there have been books that piqued my interest so much that I zoomed through them in a matter of a few days, but other than that, not much of a reader.

But I'd really like to make an effort to read more. Maybe I could replace my fitness magazines and read a book when on the treadmill or elliptical...maybe I could try to go to bed a half hour or so earlier and try to get in some light reading. I know there are ways I could make time for it, and from what I hear, it can actually be a nice, relaxing experience if I allow my mind to turn off everything else.

All that being said, I have been interested in a few books that are new-ish to the market and I think it's time to dust off that old Kindle - that I haven't touched since putting 50 Shades of Grey down in book 2, chapter 5 last summer. {Yeah, need to finish that series.}

Anyway - here are my picks:

1. The Honest Life by Jessica Alba


I embarked on a journey to greener living a couple of years back. I have fallen in and out, but have definitely made some changes that stuck. I started cloth diapering my then-5-month-old, Breckin, and also now make my own household cleaners using such ingredients as vinegar, pure rubbing alcohol, baking soda, lemon juice and castile soap. I'd really love to be 100% organic in our eating too, but that does prove difficult, however I try to stay away from the most processed things as possible. I can't wait to start reading this book and see the tips that Jessica has - she is so inspiring how passionate she is about it.

2 {and 3}. The Happiness Project and Happier at Home by Gretchen Rubin

http://greatist.com/sites/default/files/styles/article_main/public/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Gretchen-Rubin-Books_0.jpeg?itok=HkL2kICg

I have heard so many great things about The Happiness Project - not sure why I haven't read it yet. She also just recently came out with the sequel - Happier At Home and I think that one will be great for mothers. Mother's Day present, anyone?

4. Young House Love by John & Sherry Petersik

http://blog.sndimg.com/hgtv/design/Liz/Young-House-Love-Book-Review-Blog.jpg

I, like many of you, have been reading their blog for years. They are the cutest couple and they have some of the best ideas I've ever seen for DIY-ing. I love doing DIY projects so I need to get a hold of this book for some great tips and ideas.

5. Unbearable Lightness by Portia De Rossi

http://img2-2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/101004/ew_picks/de-rossi-unbearable-lightness_211.jpg 

Maybe it's due to my own past struggles with body dismorphia and eating disorders, but these types of memoirs really get to me and really interest me. I'm surprised I haven't yet picked this one up.

6. Seriously...I'm Kidding by Ellen Degeneres

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEi_CH1bL6i4k7C7QCS0nzBEQ7Azy4k5ciKLigvpgFtKAipU7wJxTeO7EqIfPiv05_99QvqfOZo8TMaEMv3iqr753MnvQL-7d6ZudyyZliUEetsrUS-pADJghruoVOSQTgDiKXvSaH4j0fU/s1600/Seriously_I%2527m_Kidding_Ellen_Degeneres.png

Well, may as well end the list with a funny one from the wife of the author of the serious book in slot number 5. I love Ellen - she's hilarious. I love a book that can make me laugh out loud. I also say "Seriously, I'm kidding" all the time.

Find me and follow on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram 
Add my RSS Feed to your Reader

1 comment:

Lala said...

I can relate to the business and ebooks are the best. Thanks for sharing

Delightful Ideas

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...