Thursday, November 4, 2010

'Tis the Season for Giving...

It is November and the holiday season is upon us yet again. A time of loving, laughing, togetherness and of course, giving and receiving. Our children know how to receive things, but do they know how to give?

Tanner is turning 5 this Saturday and I thought this would be a great year to really teach him about giving to those much less fortunate than him. We have always tried to keep Tanner aware of how blessed he is to have so much and that there are so many young children in the world without anything at all. We don't want him to become spoiled or take for granted all he has. But this year I want to do something different with him - I want to really show him what I'm talking about. I'm thinking I may even take him to help serve at a soup kitchen this year. But here is my plan for teaching him how to give to other children less fortunate this season:

Starting this week, and each week until the end of the year, I am going to ask Tanner to pick out something specific of his that he has loved (gently), that he would like to give to another child to enjoy. The week of Christmas, we are going to take all of the items to a local children's charity.

Week 1 (Nov 1-7): A toy
Week 2 (Nov 8-14): A book
Week 3 (Nov 15-21): A blanket
Week 4 (Nov 22-28): A stuffed animal
Week 5 (Nov 29-Dec 5): Another toy
Week 6 (Dec 6-Dec 12): Another book
Week 7 (Dec 13-Dec 19): Another blanket
Week 8 (Dec 20-Dec 26): Another stuffed animal

Of course, if he is willing to offer more than just the one item each week, I will let him. But I figured this list was doable and he will get to handpick each item himself.

I encourage you to have your children do the same this year. It is important that we raise our children to be thoughtful and generous towards others. Show them how happy they can make one child just with one small gesture...and also make them realize how truly blessed they really are.

Happy Holidays ♥

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...