Monday, January 10, 2011

Cleanin' Green

As you know, I have embarked on a journey to become more green. The recycling bins are set up in the garage, the cloth diapers are on baby's bottom and I've made all of my cleaning concoctions. I thought I would share with you some of the cleaner recipes I am using. So far, so good - they work great! And vinegar is a natural disinfectant, so don't worry about not getting those germs out of the way! Here's a list of recipes - take from it what you will, and ENJOY!

All-Purpose Cleaner
1 cup vinegar
½ gal. water
1/2 cup lemon juice (I added this to weaken the vinegar scent)
Directions: Spray of surface and wipe clean with a dry cloth (let sit longer for heavily soiled areas)

Disinfectant
¼ cup baking soda
4 tbsp vinegar
3 cups hot water
¼ tsp castile soap
Directions: Spray and wipe down. You will want to go over again with a cloth soaked in hot water so there is no baking soda residue leftover.

Toilet Bowl Cleaner
½ cup baking soda
1/8 cup castile soap
10 drops essential oil
If possible, make this in a cleaned out ketchup or mustard squeeze bottle. Squeeze out along rim of toilet bowl then spray with pure vinegar, allow to foam for 10 min., flush. No scrubbing needed (unless extremely soiled)!

Glass Cleaner
1 cup rubbing alcohol
1 cup water
1 tbsp vinegar
Directions: Spray and wipe clean. This so far has not left any streaks for me!

Wood Floors
¼ cup vinegar
30 oz water
(do not allow vinegar to stay on wood, make sure it is rinsed properly.)
Or
¼ cup olive or vegetable oil
¼ cup vinegar
10 drops essential oil
Directions: Use microfiber mop to apply and go over again with damp cloth with hot water to get vinegar off.

Dusting – Wood
1 cup olive oil
½ cup lemon juice
Directions: Rub in with cotton or microfiber cloth using wide strokes. My wood has never looked so good!

1 comment:

Buzz on Vibes said...

Great green cleaning tips! I found you via CafeMom, and I'm a new follower.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...