Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Writing Prompt: California Dreamin'

Most of you now know that I follow a blog called Mama's Losin' It in which every week she posts a list of writing prompts for fellow bloggers to use and then come back to link up their posts for the blogger world to read. One of the prompts this week is:
What was your big dream for yourself when you were 18 and had graduated high school?

Where do I begin? I grew up in a small town in Idaho. I am a big city girl at heart and I always had a dream of leaving the small town life as soon as I got the chance...there was a big world out there, and it was waiting for me.

The fall after I graduated high school, I moved to Long Beach, CA to go to school. I couldn't believe I was finally leaving...and heading somewhere so glamorous. I just knew that I would make something big of myself there...I was a smart girl and I wanted to start climbing some corporate ladders.

I spent 4 great years sunbathing at the beach, partying at clubs in L.A., meeting interesting people and just discovering myself. I got to live by myself in an apartment close to the beach in Huntington Beach. Somehow in the midst of it all, I lost track of my career plans and didn't spend as much time focusing on climbing those corporate ladders as I should have.

Eventually I met my future husband...and because he was in the USCG, we were transferred to Charleston, SC...I was 4 months pregnant with Tanner. Charleston is a nice city, though it's not very corporate-oriented. Needless to say, I've been job-hopping since we got here...just moving on as necessary to fit the needs of our family. I'm not a big corporate career woman...and I'm not in sunny Southern California. That dream has faded. I'm now the mother of two beautiful boys and wife to a handsome guy.

And that's a dream I've had since I was just a little girl. :)

It didn't come in the best of circumstances, but it's wonderful nonetheless. I still have time to make a career for myself...I know what I'm capable of and I know I'll make it happen.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...