Friday, October 26, 2012

Race For The Cure - Recap

This past Saturday, I participated in Race for the Cure. It had been a while since I had run a 5K race, I believe the last one was for St. Patty's Day and then a couple weeks after that I did the Cooper River Bridge 10K Run. However, I've been training to run a half marathon that is coming up in January, so I thankfully haven't been inactive as far as running goes. I ran 7 5Ks last year and Race for the Cure is always one I participate in.

I set out with the goal to beat my best 5K time to date. It's nothing extraordinary, but that time was 33 minutes and some change. Well, I am proud to say that I beat that time by at least 2 minutes. However, when I went to check the final race results on the website, I was very displeased to see this:

1070
5000
MORGAN SMITH
0:33:07
0:33:07
10:41
29
F
CHAS
SC


The highlighted time is supposed to be my actual chip time. The time to the left of that is the time the clock read when I crossed the finish line, otherwise known as the gun time. How could my time be EXACTLY the same when I didn't start the race at the start line? Thankfully, I did keep my own record with my RunKeeper app on my iPhone:



Based on the app, I ran a total of 3.38 miles in 33:50. So there's definitely a couple minutes to be shaved off that to get my total time for 3.1 miles. {I have already emailed the chip timer company...haha!} I averaged a 10:02 minute mile in the end on my RunKeeper, so the actual chip time should be around 31 minutes. I was so proud of myself...there were times after the first mile and a half that I wanted to walk, but I didn't. I pushed through.
Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures during the race...and I also ran this race solo. I always love to get friends involved when I can, but some of my friends are not comfortable running races. Plus, you really have to find someone that runs about the same pace you do, which can prove difficult at times.

I did get some pics of myself being a dork in the bathroom mirror pre-race...I like to go with the pink theme for Race for the Cure:






So the next 5K on the list is the Turkey Day Run in downtown Charleston. November 11th is World Run Day...hoping to log some good miles for that as well. I will still be pressing on with my half marathon training, so I hope to definitely beat this 5K time on Thanksgiving {also my 5th wedding anniversary!}...maybe even break into the 20s? I can't believe the turn for the better my running has taken since I started really putting my mind to training for something bigger than I've ever done...it's amazing to know you really can do what you put your mind to.

Have you done any race events lately?


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...