Sunday, February 13, 2011

Valentine's Day - What's the Big Deal?

I do not care for (read: hate) Valentine's Day.

It used to be that when I would say this, my friends would think that it was only if I happened to be single when the day came around. But I'll tell you, this will be my 7th Valentine's Day with my husband and I still feel the same way about the holiday.

Don't get me wrong, I love flowers, thoughtful gifts and being "wined and dined". But I like these things more when I get them on a random Tuesday (or Wednesday, Thursday, etc.) To be taken aback with total surprise. I don't want my husband to shower me with love and affection because he feels obligated to since every other coupled-up man is doing it for his woman. It just means a lot more when he does it because he gave himself the idea to do so - because for some reason, he was just eager to let me know how much I mean to him.

Now as a mother, I have even more reason to dislike the holiday. Just as we're getting over the hoopla of the Christmas season and every last bit of holiday candy/food is out of the house, Tanner gets a whole new load of chocolates and sweets. (Not to mention, just before that, we had finally gotten through all of the Halloween candy.) And I'm sure these "Valentines" will last until Easter. And then begins another cycle. And I'll let you in on a little secret - though I am obsessed with being healthy and fit, my weakness is sweets and I have to keep them out of reach or it gets completely out of hand! This is the last thing I need at 6 months postpartum with beach season right around the corner.

Another thing I have to deal with is that I too now feel obligated to get something sweet and meaningful for my husband to in return show him how much I love him. But we just got over Christmas, then a month later was his birthday...let's face it, by Valentine's Day, I'm plum out of ideas for things to get him. He is the hardest person to shop for as it is and within a 6-week span, I have 3 big occasions to get him gifts for. EVERY year. For the rest of our lives. And he doesn't make it easy on me or anything. No hint-dropping...or even any answer when I flat out ask him what he would like!

I'm pretty much screwed because as usual, I tell him not to go overboard or really do much at all (there are so many more things we could better use our money for), but he insists he can't do that. I guess I should just revel in the fact that I have a wonderful husband who loves me. If only he would realize that's enough for me.

Oh yeah, it's Valentine's Eve and I am still without a gift (or so much as a clue) for him. Damnit.

Happy Valentine's Day!




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...