Thursday, August 18, 2011

Well...I Was Wrong.

I had to go to Target today after picking up Tanner from school to get some overnight diapers and underjams for the boys. All Tanner could talk about was whether or not he had enough allowance saved up to buy some Legos. (I've been trying to explain to him that Legos are more expensive than most toys and that he will have to save for quite a while to buy some with his allowance.) Anyway, I explain to him that he does not have enough allowance, and it's not a special occasion like his birthday or Christmas, so we won't be getting Legos, we'll just be getting what we need to get and then go home. As you can probably imagine, he's 5, so this did not sit well with him.

So as we walk through the store, he repeatedly asks if we can go in the Lego aisle to just look at them. (He thinks he's so sneaky, I know "just looking" is never enough.) So using my better judgment, I tell him no because I know it's going to make the problem even worse.

As we're finally walking toward the check-out registers, he starts breaking down and whining about how "unfair" it is that he doesn't get any Legos. (Why my child thinks that just because we walk into a store he's entitled to something, I do not know - certainly not something I teach or condone!) Anyway, I stop and tell him that he's acting ridiculous and that none of the other kids in the store are getting Legos just because they're at Target, so why should he be any different? I finally manage to calm him down and we make it to a check-out register...

There was a mom and little boy (who appeared to be a year older than Tanner) in front of us and they had not one, but TWO big sets of Legos. I was in utter disbelief at how random this was. Or maybe the Big Guy just thought it would be fun to mess with me (He routinely finds humor in that). So I try to distract Tanner in hopes that he will not notice - and then tell me how wrong I was. Well, eventually Tanner noticed and his mouth dropped open and his eyes stared wide. I whispered to him, "Maybe it's his birthday. That's why he's getting Legos." Which I TRULY hope is the case!

Luckily, he didn't make a scene and we managed to exit without drama.

But all I could do was look to the sky and think, "Are YOU serious?! Thanks."




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...