Friday, January 11, 2013

Friday Thoughts: Speak Like a Lady

I cuss.



A LOT.

It's a bad habit I really have trouble kicking. {Though I'm not sure I can say I've ever sincerely tried.} I think I can pinpoint when my cursing habit started: 5th grade {young, right?}. I had a friend that cursed, and I just never did...and one day, when a boy said something not-so-nice {teasingly} me, she said, "Morgan, you should just tell him you're going to kick his ass." I actually remember saying it to him after that and that is the last time I remember a jaw dropping simply because a curse word had crossed my lips. Basically, it has all gone downhill from there...or escalated, however you want to look at it.

My husband gets on me about it all the time. He'll be like, "I can't believe you dropped an F-Bomb during [insert any social situation here]. It's so embarassing!" {Though let's be honest here, he's no angel in this department, but I suppose there's some double-standard when it comes to women cursing.}

I get it, OK? It's unbecoming. It's not lady-like. It's not attractive. Sometimes it's not necessary...it's just become part of my regular vocabulary...I don't have to be mad to use one. It's so common these days...a curse word out of a woman's mouth doesn't have that shock factor it once did back in the day. So I suppose that's why I don't think too much of it...I actually hardly notice it most of the time...and if people are turned off by it, I certainly haven't noticed that either. I could be oblivious, or my husband could just be overreacting. Or maybe it's a little of both.

It also doesn't help that I work in a factory full of airplane mechanics...inevitably a work environment composed of mostly males. And most of the women aren't very womanly...to say the least. It's second nature to talk like a sailor there. And you know how it is, when you're around certain types of people, you tend to start sounding like them...and of course there is definitely no shock factor when using curse words in that environment.

BUT nonetheless, I do want to cut back a bit on this little habit...main reason: my kiddos. I am going to be utterly honest here when I say it's been more than the occasional slip-up in front of them...and those are the actual times I DO notice that I've done it...and I want to immediately take both of my hands and clasp them over my mouth. Usually this happens while driving. Other drivers are always pissing me off {but that's another story for another day}.

So I'm going to be more cognizant of the words that come out of my mouth...this probably should have been on my New Year's resolutions, not sure why I didn't think of it then. I don't want my boys talking like sailors...and I also want to sound like a lady, not just look like one.

Looks like it's "Oh, Fudgesicles!" for me from now on. Have a great weekend!

Find me and follow on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram 
Add my RSS Feed to your Reader
TSEQBW66E6PF

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...