Tuesday, October 21, 2014

California vs. Carolina

Disclaimer: The content in this post is from this article. My personal content is below each picture from the original article - in bold, italicized print..and may include a picture of my own. This article was borrowed in order to make a rebuttal in Southern California's defense {for the purpose of humor}. Enjoy!

I came across an article titled 14 Reasons Why Life Is Better In Charleston, South Carolina. As you can see from the title of my blog, I came from California to Carolina. To be more accurate, I was ripped from my beloved state and dragged by the hair across the U.S. {thank you husband and the USCG}. We landed in Charleston, SC. This post will serve as my argument that life is better in Southern California.

1. You Can Wear Flip Flops in November

Temperatures can reach the 70’s even in the coldest months so it’s totally fine to be THAT person who wears flip flops in the winter.

It never went lower than the 50s when I lived in sunny SoCal. Charleston, let's be honest, you put your flip flops away in January and February, maybe even December and March. I never put my flip flops away in California.   

2. That Time You Hung Out With Bill Murray…

Okay, so it was actually a friend of a friend who spotted the elusive Bill Murray downtown, but in your mind you’re totally BFF4E ~*
P.S. can you crash my engagement photos too?

I've been here almost 10 years and I haven't spotted or run into Bill once. While in California, I met a handful of celebrities.

3. Our Beloved Ravenel Bridge

The Ravenel Bridge is an illustrious Charleston landmark. And each spring, 35,000 runners from all over the world come to Charleston to run across it for the Cooper River Bridge Run 10k race.

I love the Cooper River Bridge, but the Santa Monica stairs are no joke when it comes to a workout. And what a view.

http://upanout.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/6a00d8341c630a53ef017ee944ab40970d-640wi-1.jpg
{via}
 

4. Shrimp ‘n Griiiiiiiits

Sure, Charleston is a culinary mecca, but you can’t go wrong with this classic southern dish. I need it like I need air to breathe. GET IN MY BELLY.

I've never been a fan of shrimp n' grits, I almost think it's something you need to be raised on. Forget Shrimp N' Grits...give me In N' Out.

InNOutBurger.jpg

5. Even Ryan Gosling Loves Charleston

Since shooting parts of The Notebook in Charleston, Ry Ry has made frequent visits to the Holy City. When he was spotted in downtown Charleston in Fall 2013, it’s said the entire peninsula sank 6 inches* from all the girls rushing to catch a glimpse of him.
*Not a real statistic.

While he may visit Charleston, I'm pretty sure Ryan Gosling actually LIVES in L.A. Just sayin'.

6. King Street is a Mini Rodeo Drive

Historic King Street offers the best shopping and finest retail stores in the state. Enjoy luxury shops and trendy boutiques all in one place and then grab a drink afterwards - schmoozin’ and boozin’ Charleston-style.

Los Angeles has THE Rodeo Drive. And it is AWESOME.

http://www.rodeodrive-shop.com/images/SlideShow_Front/Rodeo-Drive-0787.jpg
{via}

7. Life’s a Beach

From Folly Beach, to Isle of Palms, to Sullivan’s Island, you’re never more than 30
minutes away from having your toes in the sand.
In the words of Liz Lemon: “I want to go to there!”

Life's a beach...and a much prettier, larger one...with boardwalks...and bonfire pits.

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/02/1e/31/c8/hb.jpg
{via}

8. We Have Impeccable Fashion Game

You don’t need to travel to New York or Miami for a killer fashion scene. Thanks to Charleston Fashion Week each spring, fashionistas get their chance to see and be seen!

I'm preeeeetty sure Los Angeles has fashion covered pretty well...and a lot better. CFW is awesome, don't get me wrong, but I don't think it will ever be what L.A. is. L.A.'s fashion week gets way more celebrity attendance and performances.

9. Everyone is So Dang Friendly

“Hey stranger!” “Yes, ma’am” and “No, sir” are all common phrases in the land of southern hospitality. The readers of Conde Nast even voted Charleston the Friendliest City in America!

I think a lot of this depends on the person. Charleston peeps are pretty friendly, but I've also seen the other side of it too. And I remember seeing a lot of both in California too. I'll give this to Charleston though, they did get the vote after all!

10. The F0o0o0o0od

Oh you fancy, huh? Charleston is home to ridiculously luxurious lodging and trendy culinary destinations. We’re spoiled with fabulous high-end food and libations no matter where we turn, which makes it super hard to visit other cities and expect the same in return.
The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. #FoodSnob

The food here is pretty stellar, I must admit. I do miss my California fish tacos and burritos...especially on Taco Tuesday.

11. NBD…

… Just a horse and carriage casually hanging out downtown.

OK, I got nothin'.

12. Say it With Me: Happy Hours

From heading to Shem Creek after work for happy hours, or braving downtown on the weekends, getting a buzz has never been easier or more fun than in good ol’ Charleston.
I, for one, am not complaining.

There are more badass happy hours than I could possibly name in SoCal - are you kidding me???!! This one is in my hometown of Huntington Beach and is an awesome bar...oh and look...the happy hour lasts 'til 9pm...

http://www.huntingtonbeachnewspress.com/wp-content/images/huntington-beach/Hurricanes-Happy-Hour.jpg 


13. Potential BAEs Are Plentiful

For some reason, everyone here is like, really attractive. Is it hot in here or is it just me?
  
Is it just me, or is this the most awful picture they could have used on their side of the argument? Not my type AT ALL. Give me this any day though...

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/40/a7/78/40a778456192884d5081dccef6a4d02f.jpg
 

14. Charleston is LITERALLY the Best City in the Country

For three years in a row, Charleston has ranked as the #1 city in the USA!
Game over.
I think it's great they got this ranking thrice...but I still think San Diego tops them all...plus, any city where you can go to hang at the beach and go to the mountains to snowboard all in the same day...can't beat that in my opinion.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...