Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Writing Prompt: My Passion

For this week's writing prompts from Mama Kat
, I chose: What are you passionate about?

Well, OK, so this is an easy one and not a surprise to most: I'm passionate about health and fitness and keeping in shape.

I'll admit, the need to stay fit (read: hot) stems from my childhood insecurities. I never felt like I was the most beautiful or even close to, and certainly felt regular-sized, rather than slender or skinny. I was always comparing myself to other girls and was very hard on myself. I always felt like I had something to prove. I hated that back then and at the time I never really knew how to change it.

As I got older, I started reading different diet books and studying different trends in weightloss. There was a lot of trial and error. I even splurged on a personal trainer at Bally's Total Fitness. But to be honest, that was pivotal for me. I finally had someone explain to me how the body worked as far as using food for fuel and burning fat and gaining muscle. As part of the package, I got a lot of tests run on me - such as metabolic rate, body fat percentage, etc. and a personalized diet and exercise plan. I actually found out that I had a very high metabolism (my personal trainer was a ripped Asian guy and he said he was impressed because my rate was just about where his was). I was shocked to hear that because I certainly wasn't ripped. After a few weeks of working with him and following the nutrition plan, I lost some weight and started to look a lot more lean and cut - the look I had desired all my school-age years. Ever since then, I have made it my personal mission to learn as much as I can about the science of health and nutrition. It's become such a passion of mine. I love that after two kids I can be proud of my body and that it doesn't even look as though I've had a kid (with the exception of some faint and minor stretch marks). I love working out - I love the high I get after an intense workout session. I love setting goals and challenging myself to attain them.

To date, I've read dozens of body-building and nutrition books. I've even taught group fitness classes at local gyms (dance-oriented classes, as dance is another big passion of mine). And in the past couple of years I've started running a lot of local 5K races - just because I love the feeling of going out there and going for it, no matter what my time is. I just love doing something good for my body and appearance.

So although my "passion" grew from a painful place...I'm glad that it was that way because it has made me who I am today and made me find something I really love. As a mom, I don't get to have a lot of personal hobbies, so the nice thing about fitness is that I can do it anywhere or even incorporate my children in it (jogging stroller, anyone?)...and at the same time, I'm creating a good example for my children. I am actually going to get my personal training certification within the next year. I want to share my passion with others and hopefully help them find a passion in it for themselves as well.

3 comments:

Georgia Girls said...

What a wonderful ending to a troubled beginning! You're amazing. I just work out because it is a healthy thing to do. Not because I enjoy it. I will never know the thrill you experience from running a marathon. When I see people running, I say, "That does NOT look like fun." ;)

bridgesburning said...

Very well said! Just stopped by from Mama Kat to say hi!
Chris

Angela said...

That's soo awesome! To take the negative stuff when you were younger and turn it into a powerful tool of motivation is great! Can you teach me how to love exercise and get so passionate about it? I could really use some motivation because I just don't like exercising. I need some pointers from you :).

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...