Thursday, November 29, 2012

Even When You Don't Want To...

You just should. Workout, I mean.

I tell you, I have so many days where I am just not mentally into getting my workout done. I feel like that's the hardest fight for me; not the physical battle. If I am not mentally in the kick-my-own-ass mode, it is a struggle to get my workout on.

I had a mental battle like this just yesterday afternoon. I was due to run 5-6 miles per my half marathon training schedule. I was all gung-ho in the morning...I got my workout wear, running shoes, etc. in a bag and stuck it in my car for a quick change after work so I could run on Daniel Island, an island near my home. {It is just such a better scenic run than my neighborhood.} But all day at work I was fighting allergies, a crampy tummy and just an overall feeling of crappiness. But deep down, I knew I had to make myself do this run.

So I got ready for my workout, parked my car on a random street and started running the route I had planned out on MapMyRun. Immediately my insides clenched with crampiness and I thought, "There's no way I'm going to be able to finish this run." I also was angry with my body for performing so poorly. I found it harder to breathe than normal...I felt less energized than normal. I won't lie, I even walked some of it.

I think I like running in this particular place because I know that if I park my car and start heading off far to the other side of the island, it's inevitable that I will have to make my way back, which means I have no choice but to do the miles. So in the end, here is what my RunKeeper app on my iPhone recorded:



So it wasn't my best time per mile {12:15} obviously since I walked a little bit, but I think I averaged about the same time per mile as when I did my first 10K in April...so I don't feel I was too shabby considering the distance for me was a good bit further than normal.

Overall, I'm just proud that I won my mental battle with myself. I know that I need to fight the urge to quit...that urge might always sneak up on me...but I know that I can shut that voice up.

How do you break through your mental battles with working out?



1 comment:

Sabrina said...

Way to go for winning the mental battle and getting the miles in! The mental battle, for me, is definitely my hardest battle.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...