Monday, November 5, 2012

My Gym Routine: Glutes

I thought I'd start a short and sweet series called My Gym Routine to give y'all a little insight into my gym workouts. I'll be dividing it up by body area. My hope is that you might find some inspiration and effective moves for your own gym routine.

Note: Many of these exercises can also be done at home with little to no equipment and a little improvisation. 

Here is the schedule of posts for your reference:
Mon 11.5.12 - Glutes
Mon 11.12.12 - Legs {Thighs, Hamstrings, Calves}
Mon 11.19.12 - Shoulders
Mon 11.26.12 - Back
Mon 12.3.12 - Chest
Mon 12.10.12 - Triceps
Mon 12.17.12 - Abs

First body area I am going to start with is the one I like to work the most: my glutes. When I'm working my glutes at the gym, that also means it's leg day because I always work those together.

Bridges

Start lying on the floor with your knees bent with your heels no more than a few inches from your bottom. Slowly lift your hips, concentrating on contracting your glute muscles to do so. Give it a tight squeeze at the top, hold a few seconds and slowly bring back down. That's one rep. I aim to do 25 reps per set, and 3 sets total. For an added challenge, grab a bar weight and hold it on your lower abdomen while performing this exercise.

Dumbbell Squats


Grab a set of medium weights and hold them at your sides. Slowly sit back as if there is a chair behind you, keeping back straight and knees behind the toes. Lower down until your thighs are parallel with the floor, hold for a few seconds and slowly rise to starting position. That is one rep. I will aim to do 12-15 reps per set, and 3 sets total.

Dumbbell Plie Squats

Grab a medium dumbbell and stand with your back straight and feet just a bit further than shoulder-width apart. Hold the dumbbell at your center by just one end of it. Slowly lower until your thighs are parallel to the floor, making sure your knees do not protrude past your toes. Hold a few seconds and while contracting your glutes, rise back to starting position. Same as the dumbbell squats, perform 3 sets of 12-15 reps.

Lunges

Lunges are by far one of the most effective exercises for your lower body. I actually prefer walking lunges, but at the gym, I tend to just do the stationary ones. Start in standing position and lunge one leg forward so your back knee is bent at a 90 degree angle and shin is parallel to the floor. Leading leg should be bent 90 degrees as well with thigh parallel to the floor. As you lift yourself back to starting position, be sure you are using the glutes to do so and not pushing off your leg. Repeat on opposite side. That is one rep. I do 3 sets of 12-15 reps. Dumbbells optional.

Many of these exercises are effective for your legs too, which is why I work legs and glutes on the same day.

Tell me about your routine for glutes - any super-fab effective exercises to share? I'd love to hear what is working for you! xoxo


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...