Thursday, November 8, 2012

The Vitamins You Should Be Taking

Many of us aren't getting the nutrients and vitamins our bodies need simply from the foods we eat. Whether we are on the go too often to stop and replenish as often as we should, or whether we have some days where we don't make the healthiest of choices when it comes to what we put in our bodies.

Here are some vitamins and supplements you should be taking...and WHY.

Fish Oil


Fish oil taken daily has been shown to decrease triglycerides (the type of fat that is stored in the body), help keep skin clear and healthy, lower blood pressure, increase joint health and even decrease depression due to its positive effects on serotonin levels. In studies, it has even shown helpful with behavioral problems in children vs. using medications such as Ritalin.


Biotin

via

Biotin, the common name for vitamin B7, helps your body metabolize carbohydrates, protein and fats. It also helps your body process glucose, in turn, making your body able to take food and turn it into energy more quickly, resulting in a higher metabolism. Biotin helps build strong tissues in your muscles, enabling you to gain more muscle, lift more weight and thus burn more fat. It also builds strong tissues in the nervous system. Additionally, Biotin has many effects on your exterior, as it promotes healthy and longer hair and nails, and brighter, healthier skin. Take at least 1,000 mcg per day.


Multivitamin

via

Last, but certainly not least, you should take a multivitamin daily. Packed with vitamins and minerals such as niacin, zinc, calcium and magnesium, these pills are essential to your body's overall health. Multivitamins help prevent heart disease, colon cancer and breast cancer. Remember you only need a multivitiamin that carries 100% daily value of the 12 essential vitamins and minerals, i.e. zinc, B, C, E, etc. Any more than that will not do you any better. I have also heard that it is better to take 1/2 the pill in the AM and the other half in the PM for better absorption.

Now, if you're like me, sometimes swallowing a large pill can make you gag. I can do it, but it's not my favorite thing to do. I have found for me, taking my vitamins and supplements at night helps, as for some reason, first thing in the morning, the idea of swallowing some large pills makes me queasy. Also, if you are able, breaking them up into smaller pieces might help. Since I take mine at night, I keep them on my nightstand next to my large glass of water so I don't forget to take them. After all these years, I have found that to be what works best for me to ensure I am consistent in taking them. FInd what works for you, and stick to it.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...