Tuesday, July 16, 2013

A Place to Sit & Relax {Front Porch Redo}

OK, so I'm FINALLY posting this!

I will start off by saying that it's not completely finished, but all of the very crucial elements are in place and other little things will be added here and there as accumulated.

I didn't get a "before" picture unfortunately, but if you can gather by the size of the space in the pics and imagine one wicker loveseat, coffee table and wicker chair all cohabitating here, you can probably guess how crowded it was. The furniture was way too bulky. As a result, it was left unused and un-enjoyed. I also even had my beach cruiser chained to the railing for a while, and often strollers were stored there when I was too lazy to put them back in the garage. So you get it - messy, bulky and unwelcoming. Not the first thing you want people to see when they come to your door!

First, I will show you my inspiration for the space - of course, one of the always organized and super-cute spaces of Jen's:



I started off by going on the hunt for a cute little bistro table. I was of course open to something that needed a little TLC, as I knew I had planned on painting one anyway {highly unlikely I'd find one in the color I wanted}. If y'all remember, this table was $10 and you can see how I upcycled it here.




I then needed a couple of chairs. My goal was something laid back, but not bulky. Something along the lines of wooden rockers, but maybe not quite as large, or didn't necessarily need the arm rests. When I found these two chairs on Craigslist, I knew they were exactly what I was looking for. I haven't painted them, but might someday decide to.



After those main pieces were found, it was accessorize, accessorize, ACCESSORIZE! I knew I wanted to use a lot of pops of color - making it a bright and cheery space.

You might remember me posting this pic of the front door area the other day:




And now without further adieu, here is the rest of the space!









I also wanted some type of storage bin to keep outdoor toys for the front yard, i.e. sidewalk chalk, bubbles, sprinkler, baseballs, etc. This basket on rollers was perfect. It easily rolls out when the boys want to play and back out of the way when they're done.





Unfortunately, as you can see, the humidity got to it quickly and added some black moldy spots. I have since taken it in, scrubbed it clean with a hand brush and I am going to spray it with a protective coat to prevent it doing that again. Live and learn.

As far as things I still want to add to the space - I would like more containers for plants. And also looking for the perfect piece of decor to hang on that empty space on the brick between the door and the window.

Here is a tally of what I've spent so far:

Bistro Table: $10 {Facebook group of Moms that sell used items}
Chairs: $40 {Craigslist}
Door Mat: $12.99 {Target}
Yellow Pot $16.99 {TJ Maxx}
Hibiscus Plant: $24.95 {Abide-A-While Nursery}
Teal Citronella Candle Pails: $5.99/ea {Kmart}
White Plant Stand: $5.00 {Goodwill - last year}
Basket on Casters: $29.99 {Marshalls}
"S" on Door: $6.99 {TJ Maxx} 
Small Runner: $12.97 {Walmart}

So there you have it, my friends! My new favorite place to enjoy a glass of vino and wind down after a long day. 

Find me and follow on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram 
Add my RSS Feed to your Reader

4 comments:

Ashley said...

This turned out SO cute!! I love the pop of color from the table and pillows!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Ashley! I am really enjoying a new place to chill! xoxo

Becky {This Is Happiness} said...

Looks really pretty and cozy. Love the pillows!

Kallie @ But First, Coffee said...

Lovely! This looks great! I just found your blog through Karens Soirée, she mentioned this post!
Looks amazing and cozy!
Kallie But First, Coffee or But First, Coffee on Bloglovin

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...