Thursday, April 11, 2013

Sun-Lovin' and Cancer Free

I'll be the first to admit that I've made some risky mistakes when it comes to choosing to protect, or not to protect, my skin from the sun. I've been in the tanning bed many, many times, spent countless hours outside without sunscreen, or without reapplying, or just plain without using enough SPF.


This week has been on the blog has been a lot about my upcoming 30th birthday, and with the 30s on the very near horizon - and another summer, I can't help but reconsider my skincare regimen, as well as my skin protection efforts.

In the last few years, I've noticed fine lines, laugh lines and even my famous scowl lines start to become more prominent...meaning they are there even when I'm not making the face. I've got dry, sensitive skin...so it is often flaky, itchy and red in some areas. It's either over-moisturized or under-moisturized. I have trouble finding my happy medium. I am also pretty fair-skinned, so I get a light tan at best...and my skin has trouble holding one...which only caused me to increase my tanning efforts in the past. Not good.

{source}

Cancer is a very real threat to our generation. Skin cancer rates are on the rise...it's time to get smart about sun exposure. I've recently sworn off tanning beds for good. I love some Vitamin D as much as the next person, but I think the risks outweigh the benefits in that area. As the season continues to warm up and I start spending more time at the beach and pool, it's got me thinking about prevention...it's not worth the sun-damage and wrinkles to have sun-kissed skin for only a few months. I need to embrace the skin tone I was given...even if it might blind others {hey, that's what your sunglasses are for}.


What steps am I going to take for sun protection? Well, I think a hat is a must to keep the sun off my face, some big sunnies to cover the eye area, and constant SPF application of at least 30.

{source}

{source}

{source}

As far as the damage that's already been done in the last 30 years, well, I am going to reverse what I can with a proper skin care regimen.

{source}

Are you taking the steps to prevent skin cancer?

Find me and follow on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram 
Add my RSS Feed to your Reader

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I've started wearing sunscreen more. I was like you, from the time I was 16 to 23 I tanned all the time, I even had a mole appear on the back of my leg as a result. I had it checked and it was benign but it was enough to scare the mess out of me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...