Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Workout Wednesdays: Blending Motherhood & Fitness

Prior to becoming a mommy, keeping into a fitness routine was easy. There were no issues with fitting it into my daily schedule - I had tons of free time back then! I would work out before work, on lunch, after work...and any time I desired on the weekends. I could also spend as much time during a workout as I wanted.

Now I've got to schedule it between changings, feedings, working, playing with my kids and spending quality time with my husband. When it was just Tanner, it wasn't that hard...I could just take him with me in the jogging stroller and get a nice workout down the beach. Most gyms also have childcare, so it wasn't a big deal to pay a little extra to have that perk when I needed it. With two, it's definitely tricky. The only way I can take out the jogging stroller to get a decent workout is if Tanner is at daycare or Jake is home to watch him. Tanner just couldn't handle walking or jogging the distance I go...I'd go for the double stroller, but he's a month shy of turning 5, so definitely a little too big for that. Being that Jake works from 7:30 to 4:30 every day, I've got limited time to be able to take Breckin out for a run. And the price of a gym membership plus TWO childcare fees each month is a bit out of the question right now as I'm trying to build up my cleaning business. Once that gets rolling, I may be able to consider that. So my workouts are limited to at home in the living room with my own equipment. Luckily, lately, I've noticed that Breckin actually likes to sit in front of me in his bouncy seat and watch me workout. Somehow it entertains him. He just smiles, stares and coos at me. Cute. (I'm glad one of us is amused.) As busy as my life can get, I always make time for fitness. It's one of the few things I have these days that is just for me...and it's important for me to take that time to de-stress, rejuvenate and reflect (I get some of my best thinking done while working up a sweat)...and a plus for my family is that it makes for a happy mommy which makes their lives a lot better. Endorphins, anyone?

Anyway, I wanted to compile a list of my personal must-have home workout equipment for you mommies out there that are also struggling to fit fitness into your routine, as well as give you a few of my favorite exercises to use them for. You can also easily Google routines online for any of this equipment.

1. Dumbbells. You'll want to have some 5s, 8s, 10s, and if you're really into it, some 12s and 15s. To save money, try finding a set of dumbbells with interchangeable weights. This will also save space.

2. Yoga Mat. Even if you don't do yoga, this is great to have for ab exercises, etc. so you don't have to be lying on the carpet.

3. Resistance bands - get about 3 different sizes.

4. Stability ball.

5. Medicine ball. I like to have a 6 lb one and a 12-15 lb one.

6. Ankle weights. (At least 2 lbs each - I use these to do stairclimbs in on my staircase.)

7. Jump rope.

My favorite at home exercises:

1. Dumbbell Squats: Stand with feet shoulder-width apart and a dumbbell in each hand. Keep dumbbells down to your side. Slowly sit back keeping the weight in your heels, do not let your knees protrude over your toes. Aim to get thighs parallel to floor, hold for 2-3 seconds, then return to starting position by lifting from your hips and rear end. 3 sets of 15 reps.

2. Bridges w/stability ball & leg curl: Lying on your back, place your heels on a stability ball and keep legs straight. Lift from the hips to get your butt of the ground, hold, then slowly roll stability ball toward you using your hamstrings. Roll ball back to beginning position, then lower butt back down to floor. 3 sets of 15-25 reps.

3. Medicine ball twists: Sit up with knees bent and feet flat on floor. Gently lean back until your abs are engaged. Holding a medicine ball, twist slowly from side to side. One rep is going to both sides once. 3 sets of 25 reps.

4. Tricep Dips: find a sturdy surface (strong coffee table or chair) and place hands palm down behind you on it. Slowly bend your elbows to move your body downward, using your arms, push yourself back to starting position. 3 sets 15 reps.

5. Dumbbell Dead Lift: Take a heavier set of dumbbells, and keeping legs just a little wider than shoulder-width apart, straight with knees slightly bent (don't lock), keep back straight and bend forward bringing dumbbells down to your ankles. Using your butt and hips, lift back up to starting position, keeping back straight. 3 sets of 15 reps.

HAPPY WORKOUT!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...